Cross country skiing at Izmailovsky Park. I know, I know, I look funny, but it's really hard to find maternity snow pants.
I thought to commemorate my 31st year I would blog 31 things that not everyone knows about me. The list follows:
1. In middle school and high school I worked as a dog groomer
2. My favorite movie is "What About Bob?"
3. when I was little I used to eat rock salt. Sometimes I would steal it right out of fake plant pots.
4. I've been to every continent except Antartica
5. My sister Alyson and I used to steal 1 lb boxes of See's candy from my mom's Christmas-gift-stash and eat the whole thing in our bed Sunday mornings before church.
6. My first kiss was a stage kiss for a play my junior year of high school.
7. My favorite calling in the church is Relief Society teacher.
8. I was once offered a job at the Humane Society euthanizing stray cats and dogs.
9. In seventh grade, I once got so engrossed in a book that I was reading that I prayed for the characters' safety and well-being. My sister overheard me and thought I was praying for our neighbor's horse, who had a rhyming name. She used to tease me about it, but it was a lot less lame than what I was actually doing, so I never corrected her.
10. I dated Ken Jennings.
11. I was once a guest caller on Car Talk.
12. The two best places I've ever visited are London and Beijing.
13. My favorite magazine is The Economist.
14. When I'm pregnant, I don't crave foods that much, but my taste in books and movies changes drastically, becoming roughly equivalent of those of a 13 year old girl.
15. My first car was a Daewoo Nexia that got stolen 6 weeks after we bought it. The Russian insurance company suspected we were involved and never compensated us.
16. My favorite standard work is the Old Testament.
17. I once had a boyfriend so cheap that I kept snacks in my purse whenever we went out because I never knew if a date would include dinner.
18. I once sent out fake wedding invitations to my friends and family for April Fool's Day.
19. My favorite poem is T.S. Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock."
20. Once when my parents were gone, we ran out of dishwashing detergent so Alyson and I put regular dish soap in the dishwasher. An hour later we came downstairs and found that the whole kitchen filled up with suds, up to the tops of the counters.
21. I hate craft stores because all the unfinished projects stress me out and I never know what any of the stuff is for.
22. One time my sister MaryAnn and I played hide and seek with a babysitter. We found a really good hiding place and stayed there for hours. When we finally emerged, we found out that the babysitter had panicked and called the police.
23. My favorite book is "Anna Karenina."
24. I only set my alarm clock on Saturday nights.
25. My sisters and I used to jump off of our barn wearing full-skirted princess dresses, convinced that the skirts would act as parachutes and break our falls. They didn't.
26. I like to get manicures or pedicures primarily because it gives me an excuse to read the kind of fluffy magazines that I would never buy.
27. I once had a summer job milking our neighbor's goat morning and evening for $1 a day.
28. I like to watch tv with Ella because it's one of the few times that she gets really snuggly.
29. I like to eat candy corns or candy pumpkins with white cheddar cheese.
30. After watching "Psycho" for the first time my freshman year in college, I was so scared that for two weeks I made my roommate Wendy stand in the bathroom to talk to me whenever I took a shower.
31. I once flew to London for 36 hours just to see Ian McKellan in the RSC's "King Lear" with my college roommate, Carrie. It was tough going explaining the trip at customs (or to anyone else, for that matter).
1. In middle school and high school I worked as a dog groomer
2. My favorite movie is "What About Bob?"
3. when I was little I used to eat rock salt. Sometimes I would steal it right out of fake plant pots.
4. I've been to every continent except Antartica
5. My sister Alyson and I used to steal 1 lb boxes of See's candy from my mom's Christmas-gift-stash and eat the whole thing in our bed Sunday mornings before church.
6. My first kiss was a stage kiss for a play my junior year of high school.
7. My favorite calling in the church is Relief Society teacher.
8. I was once offered a job at the Humane Society euthanizing stray cats and dogs.
9. In seventh grade, I once got so engrossed in a book that I was reading that I prayed for the characters' safety and well-being. My sister overheard me and thought I was praying for our neighbor's horse, who had a rhyming name. She used to tease me about it, but it was a lot less lame than what I was actually doing, so I never corrected her.
10. I dated Ken Jennings.
11. I was once a guest caller on Car Talk.
12. The two best places I've ever visited are London and Beijing.
13. My favorite magazine is The Economist.
14. When I'm pregnant, I don't crave foods that much, but my taste in books and movies changes drastically, becoming roughly equivalent of those of a 13 year old girl.
15. My first car was a Daewoo Nexia that got stolen 6 weeks after we bought it. The Russian insurance company suspected we were involved and never compensated us.
16. My favorite standard work is the Old Testament.
17. I once had a boyfriend so cheap that I kept snacks in my purse whenever we went out because I never knew if a date would include dinner.
18. I once sent out fake wedding invitations to my friends and family for April Fool's Day.
19. My favorite poem is T.S. Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock."
20. Once when my parents were gone, we ran out of dishwashing detergent so Alyson and I put regular dish soap in the dishwasher. An hour later we came downstairs and found that the whole kitchen filled up with suds, up to the tops of the counters.
21. I hate craft stores because all the unfinished projects stress me out and I never know what any of the stuff is for.
22. One time my sister MaryAnn and I played hide and seek with a babysitter. We found a really good hiding place and stayed there for hours. When we finally emerged, we found out that the babysitter had panicked and called the police.
23. My favorite book is "Anna Karenina."
24. I only set my alarm clock on Saturday nights.
25. My sisters and I used to jump off of our barn wearing full-skirted princess dresses, convinced that the skirts would act as parachutes and break our falls. They didn't.
26. I like to get manicures or pedicures primarily because it gives me an excuse to read the kind of fluffy magazines that I would never buy.
27. I once had a summer job milking our neighbor's goat morning and evening for $1 a day.
28. I like to watch tv with Ella because it's one of the few times that she gets really snuggly.
29. I like to eat candy corns or candy pumpkins with white cheddar cheese.
30. After watching "Psycho" for the first time my freshman year in college, I was so scared that for two weeks I made my roommate Wendy stand in the bathroom to talk to me whenever I took a shower.
31. I once flew to London for 36 hours just to see Ian McKellan in the RSC's "King Lear" with my college roommate, Carrie. It was tough going explaining the trip at customs (or to anyone else, for that matter).
7 comments:
You look great in these pictures. I usually hate people who look so cute when they're pregnant, but because you're my sister, I'm going to make an exception. I'm glad you had a great birthday. I'm jealous of the cross country skiing--sounds fun. Good job, Andrew!
I'm glad Beijing made the top 2 list for trips. Dan and I were talking yesterday about why visitors love Beijing. We decided for the same reason I've been loving Beijing these last two months, minimal encounters with natives. Stick to the tourists spots and stay in a 5 star hotel, and you're pretty much going to love it here. You look great. Happy 31st!
Happy Birthday! Way to go Andrew for a successfully planned birthday, sounds fun!
Wow - candy corn and cheddar cheese - that's like melting cheese over chow main - shudder (and this is from a die-hard cheese lover)
Love it! Happy Birthday. (I especially love #31. Let's do it again.)
i agree with julie...you do look really cute in the pictures. I choose not to post pics of me pregnant because I am pretty sure i don't look the same. where do you buy such fashionable pregnant clothes? I have had the hardest time finding anything attractive or cute to wear. please let me in on your maternity clothes secret!!
This cracked me up! Craving particular movies and books instead of food at pregnancy make so much more sense (and I laughed really hard). Will have to try the candy corn and cheddar cheese--I'm a huge fan of candy corn. Also love 9--who were you praying for? and 30-I think i heard about that. and 31--so jealous. I was in London right after King Lear ended. I bet it was phenomenal.
Post a Comment