Monday, March 9, 2009

I've Been Wondering

The Russian man purse phenomenon has always baffled me. It's a very masculine culture, and yet, most of the men are toting around some kind of purse-looking bag. Most of the purses aren't as feminine looking as this one in St. Petersburg.
A lot of them are small satchels that men carry like this or with a long strap across their chests.But it makes me wonder, do little Russian toddler boys like to carry around man bags, in imitation of their dads just like Ella likes to carry purses around imitating me? I found at least part of the answer at the open house last week. In the few moments when Ella wasn't going buck wild, I managed to observe little Artyom, one of the quieter children at the party.

And I noticed that Artyom was sporting a little baby man bag that looked like shark (probably not designed for little girls). So I guess the answer to the question is yes, Russian boys start their relationship wtih man bags about the same time their female counterparts do.





3 comments:

Suzanne Brinton said...

Oh my gosh this post made me laugh so hard! Man purses? For real? The men really do carry around purses! How funny. I'm glad that fad has not yet entered our culture here...and hope it never does.

Elisa said...

That's awesome. It's "Murse"! The man purse, soon it will hit the states, we're just behind the times.

Hammy said...

Has Andrew picked one yet?