Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Aya Sophia

After being thwarted in our attempts to see the Blue Mosque, we headed over the neighboring Aya Sophia, the famous church turned mosque turned museum that was open all day.
Ella and I sort of took it easy.


Then Ella and Andrew went to take naps and Tiff and Diana and I went to the Grand Bazaar. We had a really fun time looking at pottery, silk scarves, belly dancing outfits, and rugs. I found one I liked and brought Andrew back later that afternoon to buy it. Andrew was excited to go to the Bazaar, but after walking around lost looking for the rug store for twenty minutes, he decided he'd had his fill and didn't need to go back. The girls and I found an excuse to come back and so some more serious shopping. Tiff got especially good at bargaining, and at one point manage to trade "a kiss to the neck" for a bracelet (total savings= $3.50). The Turkish men really liked Tiff. I've been to a lot of bazaar type markets and done a lot of haggling, but I've never seen anyone pull off that kind of move. Not bad for a novice. I'll have to try it next time.
The rug we finally picked.

3 comments:

Elisa said...

Love all the pictures! It looks like so much fun! I heard the kiss story from Tiff, so funny.

blindblogger said...

I love the rug. I'm curious how it fits with the Chinese rug you have. Is this going to be battle of the rugs?

Christine Sandgren said...

We'll probably use them in separate rooms. These kind of rugs are woolen and called "kilims" they're about 1/5 the price of the chinese silk rugs-- so tell Dan.